Dark Sun: Grave Burden
Beyond the Ringing Mountains are jungles that flourish in rains that never reach the tablelands or the Sea of Silt. There life is abundant, the foliage thick and untamed. The undisputed rulers of these jungles are the halflings.
A halfling (or hin in their native language) is a short humanoid, standing at about 4 feet in height. They are muscled and proportioned like humans, but they have the faces of wise and beautiful children. Halflings live to be as much as 120 years old, but once they reach adulthood, their features never succumb to their years — it’s very difficult for an outsider to determine a given halfling’s age. A halfling weighs 60 to 90 pounds and usually in peak physical condition.
Halflings possess a great deal of racial unity. Though divided politically into separate villages and communities, halflings have great respect for their race as a whole. Political differences between them are settled wherever possible peaceably, through ritual and custom, most often under the direction of their clerical leaders, the shaman witch doctors.
- +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Str.
- Speed: 20 ft.
- Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class and a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, but a halfling’s carrying limits are 3/4 of those of a Medium character. Halflings typically use smaller weapons than medium-sized humanoids; but a halfling can use a medium-sized weapon as an equivalent relative weapon one category larger at -2 to hit (e.g. a medium short sword becomes a small longsword in the hands of a halfling).
- Halfling Fortune: +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear; This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
- Inborn power: 3 PP at 1st level and a wild 1st-level power.
- +2 to Climb, Jump, and Stealth checks. At 5th level, this bonus increases to +4. At 10th level, halflings can make a standing long jump as if it was a running long jump and can use accelerated climbing with no penalty. At 15th level, the skill bonus increases to +8.
- Languages: Halfling and common. Bonus: Aarokocran, ancient hin, and pterran.