Dark Sun: Grave Burden
The dunes and steppes of Athas are home to thousands of tribes of nomadic elves. While each tribe is very different culturally, the elves within them remain a race of long-limbed sprinters given to theft, raiding, and warfare.
An Athasian elf stands between 6½ and 7½ feet tall. They are slender, lean, and generally in terrific physical condition. Their features are deeply etched into their weather-toughened faces, and their skin made rugged by the windblown sands and baking sun of the wilderness. Elves typically dress to survive in the desert environment. Even when at an oases or in the cities, elves tend to prefer their native garb, designed to wrap the wearer against the brutality of the elements.
Elves are all brethren within their own tribe, but regard all outsiders as potential enemies. There is no racial unity among the elves – an elf from outside the tribe is just as much a foe as a human, halfling, or thri-kreen. Acceptance of an outsider by an individual elf can be achieved, but trust will only develop over time. Acceptance of an outsider by an entire tribe is also possible, but rare. It is usually only awarded after some great sacrifice has been made on behalf of the tribe-many outsiders have been accepted posthumously into elven desert tribes.
Individually, tribal elves are swift, sure, and self-reliant in the extreme. An elf is conditioned to run quickly over sandy and rocky terrain, sometimes for days at a time – an elf warrior can cross better than 50 miles per day. An elven war party on the move is a deadly force of endurance and maneuverability. Elves use no beasts of burden for personal transportation, though they do sometimes engage kanks and similar creatures for baggage or raw materials transport. It is dishonorable among elves to ride on an animal unless wounded and near death – even pregnant women and old elves are expected to keep up with the tribe or be left behind.
- +4 Dex, -2 Con.
- Speed: 40 ft. At 10th level, this increases by +10 ft.
- Elf-Running: Elves have the Endurance feat.
- Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. Elves retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Inborn power: Elves gain 3 PP at 1st level and a randomly-selected 1st-level power. Use the elf’s Charisma and character level to determine the DC and ML of this power (unless the elf has levels in a psionic class that uses a key ability that is not charisma).
- Weapon proficiency: Elves are proficient with the scimitar, falchion, rapier, cahbik, and bows.
- +2 Perception. This increases to +4 at 5th level, and +6 at 15th level.
- Elven Discernment: +2 on saves vs. illusion spells and effects.
- Languages: Elven and common. Bonus: Gith and pterran.