Dark Sun: Grave Burden
Dwarves are a hardy race of focused individuals. Each dwarf has a focus. This focus is some sort of goal the dwarf toils almost restlessly to meet. The objective could be minor or major. Once the focus is complete, the dwarf devotes himself to another.
Dwarves average 4½ to 5 feet in height and tend to have a very large muscle mass — a full grown dwarf weighs in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. Lives of hard work in the hot sun leave them with a rich tan and rugged, calloused hands and feet. Dwarves are hairless except for the hair on their heads, but male dwarves can grow beards as well. Dwarves often keep their hair short or shaved. A significant number of dwarves find hair repulsive. Dwarves can live up to 250 years.
A dwarf’s chief love is toil. A dwarf is never happier than when there is a cause to work or fight for, something he can approach with stoic single-mindedness for weeks, months, years, or even decades at a time. Once a dwarf’s mind is committed to a certain task, he’ll only set it aside after a great deal of grumbling and coercion. The fulfillment he achieves upon completion of a lengthy, difficult task is what he strives for.
- +4 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha.
- A dwarf’s base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Stability: Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A dwarf has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 to saves vs. psionics, spells, and spell-like effects (this includes cleric and druid spells).
- Focus: Dwarves receive a +4 to saves made to resist charms or compulsions that would change, delay, or distract them from their focus.
- Poison Resistance: +4 to Fort saves made to resist effects of poisons/venom/toxins.
- Inborn power: Every dwarf begins with 3 PP and a wild power off of the psion/wilder 1st-level power list. Use character level and charisma when determining the power’s ML and saving throw DC (if any).
- Languages: Dwarven and common. Bonus: Terran.